Since Floyd Mayweather officially announced that he’d coming out of retirement for Conor McGregor, the MMA star has been quiet… until now.
Boxing media caught up with him at Madison Square Garden on Friday night (March 17), in support of Michael Conlan’s pro boxing debut, and he boasted in typical McGregor fashion.
“I’m the boxing guy! Watch me take over boxing. Trust me on that. No one in this boxing game knows what’s coming. Trust me on that,” McGregor shouted. “When I step in there, I’ll shock the whole goddman world. Trust me on that.
“Look me in the eyes. 28 years of age. Confident as a motherf*cker. Long, rangy, dangerous with every hand,” he continued. “Trust me, I’m going to stop Floyd. You’re all going to eat your words. The whole world is going to eat their words. We’re getting close. Don’t worry about it. You’ll hear about it. I am boxing!”
Last week, Mayweather taunted McGregor while speaking to media in the UK, during which he said he’s officially coming out of retirement for a fight with the UFC star and demanded that he step up and sign the papers. “I don’t want to hear no more excuses about the money, about the UFC. Sign the paper with the UFC so you can fight me in June. Simple and plain. Let’s fight in June,” Floyd said.
At this point, it’s currently unclear where the fight stands… but it sounds like it’s getting closer.